Providing a unique identity for a resident is one of the key features of any identity platform. To achieve this, MOSIP interfaces with an Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS) to perform the de-duplication of a resident's biometric data.
The ABIS system never comes to know about residents' identities. Any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) such as demographic details or AID (application ID for applicant) is not shared with the ABIS system. Internally, MOSIP maintains a mapping between the ABIS-specific reference ID and the AID of the resident.
ABIS is used for 1:N deduplication. For 1:1 authentication Biometric SDK is used. MOSIP does not recommend using an ABIS for 1:1 authentication.
MOSIP interacts with ABIS only via message queues. The JSON format is used for all control messages in the queue. MOSIP ABIS middleware sends requests to the inbound queue address and receives responses from the outbound queue address. ABIS must comply with the interface defined in ABIS API Specifications
ABIS must support the following types of biometric images:
- Individual fingerprint images (segmented)
- Iris images (left, right)
- Face image
- The queues can be configured in the RegistrationProcessorAbis-env.json file. ABIS system connects to the queues using a pre-defined user id and password.
- It is recommended that ABIS is deployed in the same secure zone (military zone) where the registration processor is deployed.
- ABIS system is not recommended to connect to any external network.